If I do say so my self, this is the best Guacamole recipe. Ever. Inspired by (ok, nearly stolen from) Jeff Smith, the Grumpy Gourmet. The ingredients are his, the quantities are mine, from memory.
- 2 Ripe avocados. Do not buy 2 ripe avocados. Buy 2 hard avocados, and wait 2-4 days until they are ripe. You will have one day in which they are perfect. When they are perfect, do not delay. If you buy ripe avocados, they’ll be half-brown from all the bruising they took in the store.
- 2-4 green onions, sliced crosswise, thin
- Juice of half a lime (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt
- 1 to 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of fresh salsa. The quality of the salsa will directly impact the quality of your guacamole. First preference: your own fresh salsa, made yesterday. Second preference: store bought fresh salsa that was in a refrigerator case. If the avocados are ripe, and you have no other choice, use your favorite jar salsa. Don’t blame me if your guacamole is only so-so.
- 1-3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Combine everything in a bowl and mash with forks or fists until you are happy with the results.